Sunday 15 February 2015

Homemade Cauliflower Crust Pizza



Okay so I will be the first one to admit that my intended super healthy first quarter of 2015 hasn't exactly gone to plan. I have however found a simply fabulous way to eat Cauliflower, in a form that may surprise even the most fussiest of eaters.... Cauliflower crust pizza....




Before I begin, all credit (and for full recipe details) for this amazing dish goes to The Lucky Penny Blog. I have seen a number of blogs that have attempted the Cauliflower Crust and I settled on TLP and Boy am I glad I did.

Anyway for my first ever Cauliflower Pizza creation I went for Toppings in my fridge (Chicken and Chorizo with Yellow Peppers which I cooked up in a pan) and a Jar of Gluten Free Tesco Pizza Base Sauce.

I blitzed the raw cauliflower into fine 'breadcrumbs' and put these into a microwave to steam cook for 5 minutes. Note: Only use a microwavable bowl for this. I didn't and so my beloved Dibor bowl became the tragic casualty in my quest for healthy pizza *sob*.


Anyway, Once the cauliflower had cooled on a tea towel, and had its moisture wrung out, I mixed in Parmesan cheese, grated mozzarella, Italian seasoning (I would ease up on the cheese and seasoning on my next attempt) and an egg to create a dough. This was then squished into a flat round pizza base shape.



I must say that at this point I felt increasingly dubious that cauliflower mixed with cheese was going to ever make me believe it was a pizza however, 10 minutes in the oven and the base was transformed into something that did indeed resemble a pizza base.


I hurriedly topped the pizza (with too much topping, naturally) and sat by the oven eagerly awaiting my first slice of this Pizza creation.


It was amazing. I don't know if it was the cheese in the base, or the egg, that mimicked a chewy dough texture but i honestly was left a little speechless. I continued to remain speechless until i had eaten the whole thing- not intentional at all but honestly, it was so so good!



Huge tip. When I say squeeze out the moisture from the Cauliflower Breadcrumbs, I mean SQUEEZE out every last drop. I thought I had done this but the mixture was still holding onto a tiny bit of moisture and so parts of the base was a little soggy which was a shame.

Overall verdict? Cauliflower Pizza. E'rry Body got time for that.

Lots of Love

xxx TTN xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment