Saturday 23 February 2013

'I belong to you, and you belong to me, you're my sweetheart'

Well, it’s nearly the end of another month and that means we are inching closer to longer, and hopefully warmer, days. This will also mean flashing some more flesh both at work and at play. However I am , for the first summer in many years, looking forward to wearing skirts and strap tops, and I may even purchase some shorts!!

Why am i feeling so confident? I have lost weight! Last time I blogged, I told you all about how I was taking control of my life by changing my diet. Not only do I feel clearer, more alert and more energetic... I am losing weight without feeling like I’m missing out on anything. I haven’t been weighing myself but 2 weeks ago I sneakily decided to jump on the scales and I could not believe what they told me...


9 stone 9!!! 
I haven't been out of double digits for about 5 years. I immediately did a celebratory dance and a grin hasn’t really left my face since. What a boost! 
I am aiming for 9 stone but to be honest as I’m not on a diet but have had a lifestyle change I’m more interested on the other positive aspects.

My typical week day food looks like this:
Breakfast
1/3 cup of whole rolled oats soaked overnight in 1/3 cup of hazelnut or coconut milk
Topped with a spoonful of agave nectar and a banana
Tea with skimmed milk and 1 tsp. agave nectar

Lunch:
1/2 chicken breast (or a tin of Tuna mixed with some salad cream and pepper)
1/2 an Avocado
5 green olives
Tomatoes and Cucumber chopped
1 tbsp. of reduced fat hummus


2 Satsuma’s
A Naked bar - gluten, wheat and dairy free variety

Dinner:
1/2 cup of brown basmati rice
Lots of chopped up veggies 
Chicken breast - shredded up into small pieces and mixed in
Some sort of spicy sauce or a tin of tomatoes for a sauce

I also drink lots of water throughout the day and sometimes treat myself to something sweet. If I start to feel tired at work then I have a B vitamin effervescent tablet in a glass of water. Works a treat.

At the weekend I am slightly more relaxed but try to select healthy choices and eat sensible portions. But yes, sometimes I will have a burger, or I will have gluten free Domino’s pizza, and not beat myself up about it!

Speaking of which - I went to MEATmarket in Covent Garden last weekend. I did visit its bigger sister MEATliquor last year and fell in love with the whole concept but I actually prefer MEATmarket’s location and atmosphere. You go in, try bag a seat then order and pay at the till, then when it’s ready your meal is announced over a megaphone! Best. Burger. EVER! Go. That is all.

Anyway....

Moral of the story is – what I eat isn’t rocket science nor is it just beneficial to an MS-er. I think it’s applicable to all people. My top tips are:

1.   Drink plenty.
Once you start getting your 2.5 litres a day in, it’s easy and your body will love you for it- take a big bottle of water to work and keep it on your desk and get through it during the day.
2.     Reduce starchy carbs in your diet
Pasta, Bread and white potatoes are yummy but if you eat more than your body really needs it will all get stored and the lbs. will go on. I love rice so I always enjoy this for dinner, its cheap quick and easy and you can put it with anything!
3.   Fill up on your 5 a day
Here is a link to a great pictorial summary on what your 5-a-day could look like and a guide to other fruit and veg portions. Snack on fruit, chopped up carrot, make crudités out of veggies and dip them in hummus at work. I find that by focusing on this I end up eating about 9-a-day and that means more nutrients are being given to my body! WIN!
4.   Don’t stress
It makes me so sad when I see someone is on a diet and they are unhappy. Aiming to reach a healthy weight isn't a punishment; it’s a positive thing so turn that frown upside down. If you don’t like what you’re eating then get online and look up some recipes, be proactive!


Hope you have all have had a lovely February.

Lots of Love

xxx TTN xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment