Thursday 29 August 2013

Gluten Free Lemon Angel Food Cake

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is very pleased that BBC's Great British Bake Off is back on the telly-box....I am a huge Mary Berry fan. She is so gentle and classy - exactly how I want to be when I get to her age!

I was so happy that a gluten free bake featured in the first episode- about time too! But the cake that really got my baking idea going was this beauty:

Taken from www.bbc.co.uk



Angel food cake! It looked so light and fluffy- my type of pudding. I immediately was on social media asking for a successful gluten free version and was given this link by 2 Facebook friends.

To make my version of angel food cake you will need:
- 10 egg whites - I bought Two Chicks egg whites as I didn't want to make curd from scratch this time
- 1 cup of Doves Farm Gluten free Self Raising flour
- 1.5 sachets of Cream of Tartar
- Pinch of Maldon sea salt
- 3 Unwaxed organic lemons - Zested then 2tbsps of the lemon juice (but add more if you like it lemon-y)
- 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup of Unrefined golden caster sugar - I used Billington's for mine
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 300ml of whipping cream (or try CoYo or just fresh fruit as a topping)
- 1 passion fruit - juice only
- Edible glitter
- A BUNDT tin (think big doughnut)

Okay so first of all I poured my egg whites into the mixing bowl and left them to get to room temp, and I popped the oven onto 160 degrees to get nice and hot.

I then set about zesting and juicing my lemons- I put the zest aside into a bowl to keep separate from the juice.

The flour was sieved twice and then again with the sugar. Then I set the Kenwood chef to whisk up my eggs whites on high speed for 2 minutes. The Cream of Tartar was then added as well as the salt lemon juice and lemon zest then whisked again for 2 minutes whilst spooning in the 1/2 cup of sugar to the cloud like mixture... SOFT PEAKS people! That's what you'll be looking for.



Now the next bit I found a tad stressful - using a spatula I carefully folded in my sugar and flour mixture... the whole aim of this I think is to make sure now too much air is lost.... It doesn't really feel like folding as there were a few moments where I couldn't tell if I had actually managed to combine the mixture!

Then this mixture was spoon
ed into my NON GREASED (I know, but trust me, don't be tempted to grease that tin!) Bundt tin and into the oven it went!


After 45 minutes the cake resembling more of a souffle, was lifted out of the oven and immediately turned upside down to cool for 1 hour..


my tin didn't have legs so I improvised with a baked bean can which worked really well!

I used a palette knife to carefully take/shake the cooled cake out of its shell (I enlisted the help of my Auntie for this)..


The cream was whipped up again until firm but not over done, with a few drops of vanilla extract.


Then I slathered over the cake and poured over edible glitter and some passion fruit juice... not very neat as I did do this after a few large glasses of Chianti - well it was my Dads birthday after all!


The end result was amazing! My family wolfed it down and none of them could believe it was not only made without fat (obv the cream wasn't included in this statement) but that it was also gluten free!


I will be making this again- what a winner! Thank you GBBO!

Lots of Love

xxx TTN xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment