Saturday 21 June 2014

Skin Care: Moisturisers & Primers




As i have mentioned, I am on a mission to control and tame my Acnegenic skin (a term I learnt from watching Lisa Eldridge who I feel has the same skin issues as I do) and avoid going back to Tetracycline tablets, which may work but leaves my body feeling less than happy....


Your face is something that is always on show and therefore should be a breeze to splash out on, right? Not for me. I've really had to shut my eyes when I've come to purchasing products for my skin, some part of me doesn't want to spend the money. Weird, I know - but i have overcome this and started to build quite a collection....

First up, Product's that I have been purchasing for a few years now:

Freederm Perfecting Moisturiser. This very light moisturiser is perfect for using when I am having a real hormonal breakout. I apply at night after a good cleanse and, if needed, on my T-Zone during the day (but I find it makes my skin a little too shiny so not great if wearing make up). This Oil free cream contains an Active anti-inflammatory ingredient called Niacinamide which helps deflate things and I feel it helps dry out spots rather well.

For when my Skin has calmed down, or looks a little stressed post Spot-Zapping mega Cleanse episodes, I love the soothing action that Liz Earle Skin Repair Light Moisturiser brings. I am a religious user of LE Hot  Cloth Cleanser, and this light moisturiser is sometimes just what my skin needs. It contains Avocado oil amongst other glorious things and really helps my skin plump up and glow. Again, i use this at night every now and then to bring a little TLC to my face.

Finally, Dr Nick Lowe's Spot Gel is basically my saviour. It has a tiny nozzle tip making it perfect for applying a blob of Product directly onto particularly bad spots that need some extra telling-off. Containing my favourite spot fighter, Salicylic Acid, along with Antibacterial ingredients and Arnica I cannot get enough of this product. I find it's not ideal for using under make up - so I use at night if needed or on make up free days when I don't  intend to leave my Flat.

Secondly,  Products that are new discoveries...

Bioderma Sebium Pore Refiner has become my daily T-Zone Primer, or used all over my face when my face decides it wants to be the oiliest thing ever. A little goes a long way, don't be tempted to over apply as I did initially or you will end up with a white coating that shows under your make up. It really agrees with my skin and leaves it feeling very soft making make up application with spots much easier.

Following on from one Bioderma purchase to another - I have also purchased the Bioderma Sebium Moisturising Compensating Care cream after reading a cracking review from Kate on this blog. This Moisturiser absorbs into my skin really quickly, doesn't block up my pores, helps to combat tightness and redness. It's also perfect under make up during the day or for using at night time. 

The Bioderma moisturiser is good but it is lacking SPF, with it being Summer-time and a Beach holiday en route my way, I knew it was time to invest in a good SPF for my face. Especially as I am now using Facemask a few times a week (Dermalogica Extra Gentle Cream Exfoliant and Origins Out of Trouble) to get rid of old layers of skin and so I don't want my fresh skin to burn. Also, having a birthmark means that I really should be applying at least Factor 30 to my face (something have been neglecting since being a Teenage and has no doubt resulted in my Childhood Laser Surgery not lasting as long). I turned to Lisa Eldridge via Twitterland for her advice as I didn't want to purchase the wrong thing, Lisa recommended a brand called Paulas Choice. After a browse on the Website I went for The Skin Balancing Ultra Sheer Daily Defense with SPF 30 and also ordered some samples of other things to try. This SPF is really light, absorbs easily, Doesn't make me break out and is great under make up. If you have Oily/Combination skin- do give this a go.

And Finally..... I am giving the Cult product La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo+ another whirl. My pores on my cheeks seriously got clogged up a few weeks ago, when London hit the mid 20's, leaving me with not only painful ugly skin but really bad dark marks post spot-battle. My skin always has scarred and marked easily so I was not happy at having more dark areas on my face (they make me look like I have spots when I don't). I have been applying this product every night to my face, with a good massage and I must admit that my dark marks/scars have started to improve and my pores have really reduced in size. I'm going to keep up the daily application but so far I'm rather pleased.

Phew! See I told you that I have been on a mission. I still have a long way to go and will always have bad hormonal acne due a hormonal imbalance that  I have but I feel that I am starting to get a little control and breakouts are not as stressful as they once were.

Now to find some decent make up to use as a base during the summer months... any suggestions will be most welcome!

Lots of Love

xxx TTN xxx


*** Update: Using la Roche-Posay Effeclar Duo+ on anywhere but my cheeks resulted in a rather large breakout. Perfect for area's of large pores but not so great for the rest of my face)

No comments:

Post a Comment